Shiloh Baptist Church
The Shiloh Baptist Church is thankful to God for 149 years of building, praising, and loving the Lord together for His goodness to us all.
Prior to Shiloh Baptist Church being organized, church goers were attending Chickahominy Baptist Church in Toano; which is the mother church to Shiloh; and Shiloh is the mother church to Mt. Pilgrim Baptist Church in York County.
We cannot account for a lot of things that happened during the first few years, but we know it was in 1866 that a few devoted and dedicated Christian believers in God started what is now Shiloh Baptist Church. It started in a little one-room log cabin with a wood stove in a sand box, with candles, lamps and lanterns for light.
We remember Rev. Zachary Taylor Whiting from Gloucester, VA., as the pastor for over forty years.
The Rev. C. D. Ellis then came to us as Pastor in 1922. During his years with us, the entire church was renovated. The top was raised, a bell was brought and a steeple was built for the bell, two windows were put in the front of the building and a glass vent was put in over the front door.
After Rev. Ellis left, the Rev. Richard Dias, a foreigner from Portugal, was called as our leader. He helped us put in a wood and coal furnace and lights operated by a motorized generator. Our membership grew during those years and we continued to worship God and to improve our building.
Later Rev. Dias was called to a church in New Jersey. Rev. Terrer from Richmond, Va. was then the Pastor for a short period. After his tenure, the Rev. Ackens from Richmond, VA then served as Pastor. In 1929, for a short period, Rev. Daily was sent to us from Richmond, VA.
Rev. T. H. Jones was then sent to us from Virginia Union University. During his stay, we raised our first $1,000 at our June Rally. In order to raise money for church expenses, Dea. Eugene Lightfoot suggested that the Church have a Homecoming Celebration. It was recommended that all active members pay 25 cents the day of the service. The first Homecoming was observed on December 26, 1935; that was 80 years ago.
After Rev. Jones’ long illness and his death, God sent us Rev. M. R. Banks of New Kent County. During his years with us, we added a Choir Room, a Deacon’s Room and a Pastor’s Study. During his tenure, the outside of the church was bricked.
When Rev. Banks became disabled after 26 years of service, the Rev. William E. Byrd served as Supply Pastor for about two years.
In May 1976, God sent Rev. J. M. Nicholson of Newport News, Va. Before Rev. Nicholson arrived, church services were held on the second and forth Sundays only. Under his leadership, the first and third Sunday services were added. The fifth Sunday is reserved for the Literary Sunday School Union. During his period with us, the Church was air conditioned. Rev. Nicholson also introduced Shiloh to the National Baptist Convention, the Hampton Institute (now Hampton University) Convention and Church Study Courses in Newport News, VA. After Rev. Nicholson‘s services ceased in 1979, Shiloh was served by many heart-warming and loving Evangelists. In March 1981, the Lord sent us Rev. Wilbert E. Warren, who served us through the guidance of the Lord for 31 faithful years; he retired on June 30, 2012. The membership increased and the church gained spiritually. Through his leadership, a Bible Study Class was established and a Baptism Pool was installed in the Church. Under Rev. Warrens’ guidance, a new Fellowship Hall was also added to the church. The sanctuary was renovated beginning in December of 1996 and completed in late 1997. Under his leadership, there were two Assistant Pastors, the Rev. O. Thomas Broaddus and the Rev. Carroll C. Carter. Rev. Carter started a Remedial/Tutorial Class which was held on Tuesday evenings at 5:30 P.M. Rev. Carter resigned as Assistant Pastor in early 1997. With the assistance of the former, First Lady Adline Warren, the Sunbeam Choir was organized in the fall of 1982 with youth ranging in ages from 6-12 years old. The Sunbeams are now part of the Junior Choir. Youth Services were held on the third Sunday where the youth of the church take part in the devotion. Our Youth Fellowship Service was started on the 1st Sunday of each month by our Assistant Pastor, Rev. Broaddus. Rev. Broaddus left Shiloh and became Pastor-Elect of Mt. Olive Baptist Church and on September 20, 1998, he was installed as Pastor of Mt. Olive Baptist Church in Barhamsville, Va. A Children’s Sermonette, delivered by Rev. Warren, was then organized until Rev. Warren recommended that the Deacons take charge of the Youth Services. The Deacons began this task on the first Sunday, September 6, 1998 and this has continued on every 1st Sunday of each month. For the past several years, Deacon Russell Walker has performed this task. Shortly after this, Shiloh’s first Church Library was organized and our first Christian Flag was donated by our former, First Lady Warren.
On Sunday, May 28th, 2000, our Pastor, Rev. Warren, conducted a call meeting to discuss construction of overhead entranceways; this project was completed a few months later.
As we continue to grow, we were blessed, in 2011, with another Associate Minister, Rev. Matthew K. L. Smith, who came to us from Liberty Baptist Church, Charles City, VA. Rev. Smith was mentored by Rev. Warren and he began conducting the Morning Worship Services on the 1st and 3rd Sundays of each month. Since he has been with us, he has been afforded the opportunity to conduct a Youth Revival Service and he has fulfilled other outside Church engagements, in Rev. Warren’s absence. Rev. Smith is always ready and willing to assist our Pastor and his Shiloh Church family anytime he is asked. Rev. Smith was installed as Pastor of Shiloh Baptist Church-Croaker on July 29, 2012 until he departed his position in July 2015.
We hereby, in 2015, bow in humble submission to God, who gave our forefathers strength, faith and energy to travel up the King’s Highway, to keep His church alive. Through faith and prayer, we believe we will continue to grow spiritually and maturely in the future.
We further Honor all of those old builders of our church to include: Bro. Amos Moore, Bro. Washington Piggott, Bro. James Gransby, Dea. Anthony Jones, Dea. Eugene Lightfoot, Dea. Ernest Tabb and many others.
In great humility, we close with these words:
“Bless this House O Lord, We pray. Make it safe by night and day. Lord, give us the faith to endure as you did our forefathers”.
Definition of Shiloh:
A city north of Jerusalem. It was one of the earliest and most sacred of the Jews’ sanctuaries. The ark was kept there from the last days of Joshua to the time of Samuel.
Joshua 18:1, Judges 21:19, I Samuel 4:3